Somme

Somme

Somme

Childish voices flicker
like vivid, foolish birds,
darting between the echoing shadows of the afternoon sun.

Bright tombstone eyes watch
huddled gracefully among the parched fields, stretching
to the horizon. The air is thick
expectant –
A few flaccid poppies stir in the cooler breeze
too pale in the Summer’s dying breath to stand
And the Gallic farmhouses and trees and bright, brash hypermarché signs are all
as they should be –
peaceful.

And yet, underfoot
the earth shivers.

This post is dedicated to the hundreds of thousands of men, on both sides, who gave up their lives during the battle of The Somme, which took place 100 years ago today.

1st July 2016 / 10:31 pm

Thank you. I have been so interested in the events of the Somme since I first learned about them. Travelling there was such an experience. I tried to convey the atmosphere of the place in this poem!

1. 1st July 2016 / 6:37 pm

Beautiful words. Definitely time to stop and think on days like these, be grateful for what we have because of events such as these.

1st July 2016 / 10:29 pm

Thanks so much. The events of the Somme are so far reaching in how they affect our lives today- it is so important to remember those who died so tragically and ensure such things do not happen again.

2. 1st July 2016 / 7:29 pm

So touching! We visited Thiepval memorial in Picardy when about two years ago when we holidayed in France. And there was such a heavy air driving past military cemeteries one after another just to get there. It’s also heartbreaking to see the graves of the unknown soldiers… Hope it never happens again… Then you wonder about the recent events all over … are we headed there?

1st July 2016 / 10:27 pm

This poem was written after a school trip to the Somme when I was so struck by how the history affected the atmosphere of the place so dinstinctly still. Let’s hope such horrific events never take place again!

3. 1st July 2016 / 7:49 pm

Lovely post today. It’s really something important that we should all spend a few minutes thinking about

1st July 2016 / 10:28 pm

It is an event that has really touched me since I first learned about it. I think it is so important that we remember.

2nd July 2016 / 11:18 am

Thank you. I think that keeping knowledge of their sacrifice alive is so important.

4. 2nd July 2016 / 9:28 pm

Such a beautiful dedication. This gave me shivers reading it. It is so important to remember those that fought so we could be here today. x

3rd July 2016 / 10:27 pm

Thank you so much. I agree – the first world war and the tragic stories of the soldiers have touched me for as long as I can recall. It is so important that we remember them.

5. 3rd July 2016 / 10:14 pm

You should have been a poet, it sent chills down my spine. Knowing how these brave soldiers some barely men were so cruelly struck down fighting for their country saddens me x

3rd July 2016 / 10:19 pm

Thank you so much Ana, that’s a lovely thing to say 🙂 the story of the Somme and the first world war has touched me for as long as I can remember.

6. 3rd July 2016 / 10:16 pm

Such a beautiful post, very lovely and touching words.

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

3rd July 2016 / 10:20 pm

Thanks so much. The Great War and especially the war poets have been a great passion of mine for as long as I can remember.