Potty Training Success with Huggies

Potty Training Success with Huggies

We are pleased to announce that we are potty training ambassadors for HUGGIES® Pull-Ups® and we have been having great fun (mostly!) while starting Littlest’s journey to wearing ‘big girl’ pants full-time. With the help of their expert, child psychologist and mother of four, Dr Heather Wittenberg, Huggies have pulled together the most practical and helpful tips to help your child feel confident with potty training. We have known that Littlest has been ready for some time, as she has been showing all 8 Signs of Readiness from the Huggies 6 Steps to Potty Training Success program.

The team at Huggies sent us a brilliant box of goodies to get us enthusiastic about starting our journey. (And my goodness, did it work. I think the bag and stickers alone will thrill Littlest for weeks to come!) Each item will help to support the steps in our potty training journey.

Littlest enjoying her potty training success

The 6 Steps to Potty Training Success

We know that children who have a good positive potty training experience are more likely to have greater self-confidence, feelings of self-control, and overall sense of achievement. The unique learning features of HUGGIES® Pull-Ups® allow your child to practise independence and self-control, with the right level of protection for when little accidents happen as they learn.

‘I see’ – wetness indicator fades when wet encouraging tots to stay dry
‘I feel’ – the unique learning layer briefly mimics the feeling of real wet underwear helping tots recognise that they have had an accident
‘I do’ – Super soft and stretchy sides let little hands practise pulling pants up and down

When used in conjunction with these 6 steps, HUGGIES® Pull-Ups® ensure that your little one will feel confident and safe while learning to use the potty –

The 6 Steps to Potty Training Success with Huggies

Supporting the 6 Steps

Our day time items for potty training success

Littlest loves pink, princesses and everything Disney. This is not something that I have particularly encouraged (We try to avoid gender stereotypes where we can) but I have given her freedom to choose the clothes and toys that she likes. She was absolutely mesmerised when we opened our Huggies goodies. We received some lovely items to help support each of the six steps. The reward stickers and princess Pull-Ups meant that Littlest was keen to ditch the nappies and start practising right away. She insisted on filling her back-back up with stickers and Pull-Ups and headed off into the sunset with them.

The soap and timer are really useful tools for establishing a routine and practising too. We also received a pink Minnie Mouse Potty and Step which are Littlest’s new favourite possessions.

Learning Wet from Dry

Learning wet from dry on the 6 steps to potty training success

Step 4 on the Huggies 6 Steps to Potty Training Success is helping your child to learn the difference between wet and dry. Huggies Pull-Ups have two great features that help your child to understand the difference – without any mess! The Learning Layer in daytime Pull-Ups briefly mimics the feeling of real wet underwear without the mess and the wetness indicator gives your little one a visual sign to go along with the feeling of wetness.

Littlest and I did some experimenting in the garden, (and water play – always a huge hit!) in order to learn about wet and dry and put the pull-ups through their paces.

It was interesting to compare the feel of the Day and Night Pull-Ups. The day Pull-Ups have the Learning Layer and the night ones do not. The difference in the feeling of moisture was very clear. HUGGIES® Day-Time Pull-Ups® will let your little one know they are wet, without the mess, while the Night-Time Pull-Ups keep them feeling dry for comfort at night.

Littlest also loved watching the wetness indicator disappear as she poured the water into the Pull-Ups. As it happens, we have not yet seen the wetness indicator work in real

Our Successes So Far

I am so proud of Littlest. She has taken to potty training like a true pro. We had one or two accidents on her first day but since then she has been pretty much entirely dry. The items we received from Huggies have definitely helped to get her enthusiastic and confident about training. We are ready to move on to the next step this week – trying some pants during the day.

Soon, we will be ready to start Step 5, and start training in the night. Littlest has just moved from a cot to a toddler bed. Our Huggies goodies contained some great items to help build her confidence for potty training success at night too. She is still very anxious about getting up at night to use the potty. I am confident that these items will help –

We will be updating soon with news on our progress, both with big girl pants and night time training. Look out for our news in a few weeks’ time. In the mean time, you can find out all about the 6 Steps to Potty Success at pottytraining.co.uk.

6 Steps to Potty training success with Huggies Pull-Ups - a look at how to train your toddler to use the potty in six easy steps.

Please note, this post is in collaboration with Huggies Pull-Ups.

For more tips and tricks, you may like:

Tips for an Autism Friendly Bedroom and Bedtime Routine

How to use a Sleeping Bag/Grobag

1. 21st August 2017 / 9:22 am

There are some brilliant tips here, and we are not far behind you on our potty training journey, so I’ll definitely be using this post for pieces of advice. Claire x

21st August 2017 / 12:44 pm

Ahhh thank you. Good luck with your potty training journey too 🙂

2. Hannah
    21st August 2017 / 10:16 am

This is fab thank you so much – as someone who will be starting the journey in the coming months I really appreciate the tips

21st August 2017 / 12:45 pm

I hope it goes well for you both! Thanks for reading.

3. Matthew
    21st August 2017 / 10:17 am

The designs are so cute! My little one would love these, thanks for the heads up

21st August 2017 / 12:46 pm

Very welcome. Littlest really loves the characters on the blue ones and the pink ones 🙂

4. Leila Benhamida
    21st August 2017 / 8:23 pm

I love huggies. They are really good training nappies. This is the one I use fir my daughterm

5. 21st August 2017 / 8:35 pm

That is such a good idea to practise with the wet and dry with the pull ups in the garden! Definitely filing that one away for when I start toilet training with my youngest (Feels like a long time since I trained the others!)

6. Amy Fidler
    22nd August 2017 / 7:21 am

Great review x

7. William Gould
    22nd August 2017 / 9:02 am

Ah! The joys of potty training… lol Great review!

8. 22nd August 2017 / 10:43 am

Some really great tips here! We were lucky with our toddler in that she just sort of did it herself (we were lazy and put it off and off until one day she just decided that was it – nappies were no more!) but it was a whole other story with our eldest!

9. 22nd August 2017 / 8:46 pm

Sounds like your little one is doing well! We’re potty training with Huggies Pull-ups at the moment too and they’ve definitely helped. We’re not there yet, but I’d say we’re 75% or so on the way to being fully potty trained.

10. 23rd August 2017 / 9:09 am

Thanks for a great informative post, definitely helpful to a mum like me who would not have a clue where to start with potty training. I think one of the most important steps is knowing when they are ready. I have an 18 month old daughter so will be on this journey soon. x

11. 23rd August 2017 / 12:16 pm

Oh it’s so good to hear yours was a success and such fab pics! We are about to start so good to read this beforehand 🙂 xx

12. 23rd August 2017 / 7:51 pm

I was dreading potty training (I have a real hateof potties), but my boys did it themselves and went straight to the loo!

13. 23rd August 2017 / 9:58 pm

Oh she looks so proud of herself! My daughter is six next week and still uses night time pull ups – they’re amazing things! x

14. 23rd August 2017 / 10:04 pm

These look fantastic, and I love your ‘experiments’ with the water! My youngest is coming up to potty training in the next few months and I’m actually dreading it – I’ve potty trained my eldest and it was the hardest part of parenting so far!

15. 23rd August 2017 / 10:26 pm

Great tips here and good to remind myself again- we’ll be doing it for the 3rd time in a couple of years after quite a big break! x

16. Heather Haigh
    25th August 2017 / 10:18 am

Great tips and review.

17. Heather Cain
    30th August 2017 / 3:55 pm

pull ups are such a great idea and give the kiddies independence whilst safety of staying dry. Potty training is never the same with two different children one can learn quickly whilst the other takes forever to grasp the idea of letting go! Just have patience and love and praise the little ones and they will get it eventually

18. Margaret gallagher
    2nd September 2017 / 8:57 pm

Great read it will be our turn soon

19. Carly Belsey
    5th September 2017 / 5:17 am

Good luck with potty training. We used Huggies too.

20. Susan B
    7th September 2017 / 10:11 am

A much more thoughtful approach to potty training than I had previously considered.

21. Elanor Rice
    7th September 2017 / 10:02 pm

Some fab tips here…..my little one is only 14 months but I’m trying to introduce the potty through books and play so it’s a normal part of her life already, hoping that it will encourage her and give her the confidence to use it early.

22. Kim W
    7th September 2017 / 10:39 pm

Great post, very useful.

23. Margaret GALLAGHER
    12th September 2017 / 11:59 pm

Fabulous tips to help us on our way