We are proud to be partnering with Schwartz this year, to make your Christmas stress-free and delicious. Getting children to eat vegetables can be tricky at the best of times and Christmas does not necessarily improve things, even with the threat of Santa’s naughty list! Our Festive Star Winter Vegetables are packed with all kinds of delicious veg – carrot, potato, parsnip and squash.
Kids will love having stars on their Christmas Dinner plate and they are also tasty enough to wow your adult guests and family members. Roasted with honey, Mixed spice and Nutmeg, these vegetables look fantastic and with a delicious twist, ensure all ages come back for seconds.
You can find this recipe, and others, on Daddy Cooks Food’s page over at Schwartz.
Festive Star Winter Vegetables
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 Maris Piper potatoes of a good size
- 3 small or 2 large carrots
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 red onions, sliced into substantial half moons
- 2 medium parsnips (You can omit or include your own favourites as you want)
- 1 tsp Schwartz Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Schwartz Mixed Spice
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs honey
Optional for adults…
- ½ tsp of Schwartz Crushed Chillies
- 25ml (1fl oz) Bourbon whiskey
- Schwartz Sea Salt and Black Pepper to season
- Pre-heat the oven to 175ºC fan, 400ºF, Gas Mark 6.
- Peel all the vegetables and then slice them until they are in ‘rounds’ about 2.5 cm/1-inch-thick, with the carrots slightly thinner – about 1 cm thick.
- Use metal cookie cutters to cut them into different sized stars. You can place the pieces of veg that you do not use in a freezer bag. They would be perfect for soups etc at a later date.
- Put the shapes, along with the onion, into a baking dish. Pour over the olive oil, sprinkle over the spices (and Crushed Chillies, if using), season well and mix it all together with your hands.
- Drizzle over the honey (and the whiskey if using), then put it in the oven for 55 minutes.
This recipe works so well with seasonal winter vegetables, like parsnips and squash. It also has twists that both adults and children can appreciate.
If you enjoyed this recipe using Schwartz hero spices, you may also enjoy:
Please note, this post is a paid collaboration with Schwartz. For more information, see our Disclosure Policy.